Thursday, February 6, 2014

MUN intro essay

Global issues are one of my favorite matters I like to look into. Therefore, I am so glad that I can finally join MUN team in 7th grade. I believe MUN would be a great way of showing my talent on debating using my critical thinking skills.
            Global issues are important to me because when I grow up, I would like to be an ambassador. As you know, an ambassador is a diplomat on its highest rank that has to meet other countries’ high officials and equivalent. To the ambassadors, global issues are their highly prioritized subjects since it is their job to deal with it. I look at the international news section often to see what is going on and imagine what will I do if I were to solve this problem. I discuss these issues with my dad and sometimes we find out ways that issues can be resolved. Every time I came to the end of these discussions, I wonder how happy will I be to do what I love, global issues.
            One of the global issues that I am interested in is about Julian Assange, a famous Australian activist who founded WikiLeaks. He is now staying in Ecuadorian Embassy in London, where he is resisting arrest from British government. UK is trying to send Assange to Sweden where he is facing allegation of sexual assault. Then Sweden wants to extradite him to US where he could face charges of leaking secretive information about Iraq and Afghanistan war reports. I am interested upon him these days because he is the founder of WikiLeaks, a non-profit organization that publishes secrets of governments and companies. I believe if UK gets him out of Ecuador in London and he faces charges against him, his corporation would get an enormous damage. I wonder what will happen next to him.
          Although it is not about international issues, US Politics is a very appealing subject to me. On November 6th, 2012, United States Presidential Election will happen. Governor Mitt Romney and President Barack Obama are going to compete against each other. A week ago, there was Republican National Convention, here at Tampa, Florida from August 27th-30th. Though I didn’t get to watch the full videos I did see the result. Governor Romney is the presidential nominee and Congressman Ryan is the vice-president nominee for the Republicans. On September 3rd-6th, there was Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina. President Obama and Vice-President Biden are the Democratic nominees for this year’s election. I am very exited to see who will win this race and govern this country well into a better condition.

           I believe I would be an asset to MUN team because I have skills on delivering speeches and ideas clearly. When I was 7, I was invited to national speech contest by all-English kindergarten to compete with others from different parts of South Korea. Also, I am taught to think critically to speak persuasively using various details. I use those skills in school to write essays and to discuss my opinions. In addition, I am a risk taker, who is not afraid of speaking out. I can express my thoughts in a clear tone with supporting reasons, persuasively. So pick me as a MUN member to represent Williams IB Middle Magnet School. 

No comments:

Post a Comment